Austin Tax Blog


Have you recently moved? Did you tell the IRS that you moved? Most people do not notify the IRS of a change of address for various reasons. Maybe they believe the US Postal Service (USPS) may update your address with the IRS. However, relying on two governmental agencies to communicate about someone moving is highly not recommended. Even if you decide to forward your mail through the USPS, not all post offices forward your mail due to human error. Or maybe you just don’t care or do not want the IRS to find you. Sticking your head in the mud is never a good approach with the IRS. Here are a few examples of why you should care:

1. Owing a Balance

If you owe the IRS money they will try to collect from you and if they cannot find you — you might wake up one day to a levied bank account or wage garnishment. The IRS will NOT forward certified mail, and certified mail is one of the ways the IRS will attempt to locate you. You may wake up one day to a levied bank account, wage garnishments or both.

2. Proposed Changes

If there is an issue with a tax return and the IRS needs more information, and you do not respond–then the changes become permanent after you miss your short 30 day period to respond.

3. Refund Checks

If you get your refund via snail mail and you move, the check will not be forwarded.

Escobar & Associates advise all of our clients and friends to file Form 8822, Change of Address form as soon as you move. It’s better to be safe than sorry when dealing with the IRS!