Austin Tax Blog


Nothing sends a person’s life into a tailspin the way that death and taxes can. Not only are both of these things unavoidable, but they also seem to strike at the most inopportune times. They’ll crop up in your life when you least expect it, leaving you to struggle with the fall out for a long time to come. Unpaid taxes, delinquent taxes and other tax issues should not be handled without the aid of a tax expert. So, whom should you turn to when you are looking to resolve your tax woes? An Austin tax lawyer? A certified public accountant? An IRS enrolled agent? Who is the most qualified to deal with the IRS?

Comparing a Tax Attorney, CPA, & IRS Enrolled Agent

According to the IRS, an Austin tax lawyer, a certified public accountant and an IRS enrolled agent all have “unlimited representation rights.” Let’s take a moment to compare.

Escobar & Associates tax paperwork - the IRS enrolled agents specializing in unpaid taxes, delinquent taxes, and more!In Texas, a certified public accountant, also known as a CPA, is an accountant who has met state education and experience requirements and also has passed the Uniform CPA Examination. Services provided by a certified CPA can vary. There is no guarantee that a licensed CPA specializes in taxes, tax preparation or planning, but some do. Being a CPA translates to being an educated and licensed accountant- not necessarily a tax expert.

Lawyers and attorneys are licensed through the state after meeting the educational requirements for the profession (a degree in law) and passing the bar exam. Being a lawyer or attorney means you can give legal advice as well as represent your client, but not all lawyers and attorneys are specialized in tax law.

An IRS enrolled agent receives their licensing directly through the Internal Revenue Service after passing a comprehensive, three-part exam. They may also earn the privilege of being an IRS enrolled agent through experience if they were previously an IRS employee. To keep this title, every three years an IRS enrolled agent (EA) must complete at least 72 hours of continuing education. According to the IRS website, “Enrolled agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards.” An EA understands business and individual’s tax returns and, more importantly, is well versed in the way in which the IRS operates.

Basically, by definition- IRS enrolled agents are the only agents that can call themselves IRS tax experts. An EA’s sole purpose is dealing with the IRS.

Need Support?

When you find yourself in trouble with the Internal Revenue Service, you don’t just want to partner with a firm who will do a good job. You want someone who will do the best job possible. Whether you are looking for an Austin tax attorney or an IRS enrolled agent, you can trust that the tax experts at Escobar & Associates will work tirelessly to protect you and your financial interests.

View all of our available tax services here!